Many of us have forms on our websites. And the default response for these forms say:
“Thanks for contacting us. We will get back to you shortly”
Sound familiar? This is what my form said until this year. Hey, it’s polite. It acknowledges that someone filled out your form, right?
At WordCamp Seattle this year, I attended a session with Kori Ashton, CEO of WebTegrity and YouTube Tutorial Star, titled “Get Google to Love Your WordPress Website“. Towards the end of her talk, she mentioned that a great opportunity is lost with “Thanks for contacting us” as your response to a form submission. According to Kori, someone gives you a HOT LEAD when they fill out your form and “Thanks” is just not making the most of your opportunity to connect.
What you really want is for them to stay on your site! If you can keep them there, Google will love your site more.
So, it took me a few weeks to get on board, but I now have an enhanced thank you page for every form I have on my website. On top of that, I have enhanced thank you pages for my PayPal payments, too.
Here are the elements I suggest you add to a thank you page:
- Give them a thank you message and let them know when you will respond.
- Ask them to connect with you on social media. I like to ask for LinkedIn connections because that shows me if we have in common connections.
- Have a lead capture ready in case they want more info from you.
- Share blog posts and target the content if you can.
- If you have a portfolio, share that as well so they can see your work.
Are you interested in maximizing your thank you page? Contact me and let’s talk about it. And you will see it in action when you fill out the form!